Marty’s Market seeking Master Butcher in Pittsburgh
Marty’s Market LLC is seeking a Master Butcher to lead the meat department in whole animal butchery of locally sourced all-natural and organic meats. This individual should have 3-5 years experience in a retail, restaurant, or factory setting, as well as management/leadership experience and comfort working in a fast paced environment.
The master butcher will be responsible for a profit center, and the following skills are required:
• Whole animal butchery
• The ability to design, cut, and set a meat case to achieve target margin
• Grinding meats
• Charcuterie (curing and smoking meats)
• Fresh sausage making
• The ability to operate a band saw
The focus of this job is on achieving accurate and timely results that support Marty’s Market’s standards. Tasks and responsibilities of this position include the following:
• Assisting store leadership with sourcing product directly from local farms and establishing and maintaining these business relationships.
• Helping to facilitate new staff orientation and training of new staff.
• Leading staff in the meat department to complete all butchery related tasks, including designing and setting meat cases.
• Organizing and maintaining cleanliness of the department, meat coolers, and backstock area.
• Tracking inventory for the meat department.
• Participating in and/or leading weekly team meetings and staff educational sessions.
All candidates who apply will be expected to submit a sample layout of the meat case (design and specs will be supplied by Marty’s Market LLC) during the application process.
Competitive Candidates will exhibit the following in addition to the aforementioned experience base:
- Has a reputation for giving great service to customers and co-workers.
- Exhibits a sense of urgency to achieve quality results in a timely manner.- Has a reputation for proactively and effectively solving problems based on his/her technical knowledge while working within established standards and guidelines.
- Is detail-oriented, flexible, and hardworking.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 40 pounds and withstand cold temperatures and work in a standing position for prolonged periods of time (up to 9 hours).
Marty’s Market, LLC is a unique, community-minded, specialty food retailer and café in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania’s Strip District neighborhood dedicated to delivering unmatched fun, flavorful, food-centric experiences to our customers and to each other. They are committed to strengthening southwestern Pennsylvania’s regional food system, and through partnerships with food producers, local farmers, and members of the community, they do just that.
Marty’s Market, LLC will exclusively sell food that is good for families and the environment. They will support and sell produce that has not been adulterated by genetically modified organisms (GMOs) or treated with synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides or other harmful chemicals. They value the humane treatment of animals and believe that doing so makes for premier quality dairy and meat products. In short, they offer Food That’s Made of Food™ and nothing else!
Although they are but a small business, they endeavor to make a significant impact on the region one bite at a time.
Interested applicants please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marty’s Market Butcher”